With summertime here, I am always looking for ways to get outside and enjoy the outdoors. Hiking is something I really love and am always looking for an opportunity to hit the trails in the DC area on the weekends.
As much as I love the Blue Ridge, I’m always interested in going somewhere bigger and more exotic. While DC is in a great spot to explore some fun weekend hiking, it never really satisfies me completely. Ever since we hiked the Inca Trail a few years ago, I’ve longed to go trekking again – places with beautiful views, interesting culture and challenging summits. Thus, a backpacking bucket list is born!
One day I will do all of these hikes. There are many places I’d like to hike in my life, but these five are my top picks – the places I WILL make a priority to visit, conquer and only experience minor altitude sickness at the top.
- Lukla to Everest Base Camp, Nepal. I have no intention of ever climbing Mount Everest. However, I do want to make it to the base camp. There hike is about two weeks and leads you through Nepal’s Khumbu region to the base camp. you get views of all four of the highest peaks in the world and it would be amazing to do this.
- Cinque Terre, Italy. Ever since my husband and I met we have talked about going to Italy and hiking around the Cinque Terre. We haven’t made it yet but I feel like it will be soon! Amazing views, endless cliffs and wine at the end. Sold!
- Kilimanjaro, Tanzania. Who’s hiking bucket list doesn’t include Kilimanjaro? I’ll make it there one day.
- The Narrows, Zion National Park. When I lived in Tucson, one of my favorite things to do was hike in the desert. There is something really cool about the desolation and harsh climate of the Southwest. The Narrows is a hike in Utah that takes you through amazing canyons carved out by a river and most of the walk is wading through that river. A photographers dream!
- Mont Blanc, France. This is one of the most popular hikes in Europe for fair reason. A loop hike here circles Mont Blanc, the highest peak in the alps, and is known for amazing views and fun villages to explore along the way.
Happy Thursday + trekking!